Travel in the Time of COVID-19
Travel in the time of Covid 19
As the world navigates the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we at Jelajah Outdoor are ready in giving information for travelers throughout this challenging period — and when ready, assisting in recovery efforts.
What you need to know
Travel in the time of Covid 19
The 2020 coronavirus, or COVID-19 pandemic, has been a moving target when it comes to travel. Nobody knows how long it will continue, whether and which areas it might hit next, when and where it will plateau and start to ease off, or when the travel world might return to something like normal. The time frame for cases to begin diminishing is unknown. And even once a decrease occurs, it’s worth considering that the virus could return.
Many nations are enacting more stringent travel restrictions or travel bans, and new policies are being implemented daily. The IATA is also maintaining a comprehensive country-by-country list of COVID-19 restrictions on travel.
Most commercial airlines have reduced or suspended routes because of the pandemic. In addition, many hotels, restaurants and attractions around the world have closed to avoid large gatherings.
regularly updating the following resource guides to travel companies’ COVID-19 responses:
- Update info Indonesia Covid 19
- John Hopkins Covid 19 Worldwide Map
- SmarterTravel’s guide to 14 OTA Booking Sites’ COVID-19 Cancellation Responses
- Airfarewatchdog’s COVID-19 Flight Waivers and Refund Policies by Airline
- Oyster’s COVID-19 Hotel Cancellation Policies and Closures
- Family Vacation Critic’s COVID-19 Refund Policies by Vacation Rental Website
- Cruise Critic’s COVID-19 Cruise Ship Policies and Cancellations
- Tripadvisor (our parent company) offers COVID-19 travel information here
- If you still need to travel, here are 8 Major Travel Companies Offering Flexible Hotel and Air Bookings for COVID-19
The Main COVID-19 Travel Dilemmas to Consider
Getting sick: This one is obvious. Whether you catch it before you leave home or while you’re away, being sick with serious COVID-19 is no fun. The fatality risk is small but real. Seniors and those with existing medical problems seem to be at higher risk than the general population.
Getting quarantined: If you need to travel, you almost certainly face the possibility of immediate quarantine of up to 14 days. If you’re lucky, it could be at home. But it could also place you in a strange city.
Canceling: Changing arrangements could entail big cancellation penalties, although many airlines and hotels are currently allowing customers more flexibility to change plans than they usually do. However, the Department of Transportation recently issued a warning to airlines that were not refunding travelers for canceled flights.
Travel Industry Responses to COVID-19
If an airline cancels your flight(s), no matter what the airline proposes you can get a full refund on any ticket (see our guide to air passenger rights here). But if you have a ticket for a future flight that is not canceled or you haven’t yet bought a ticket, most major domestic and international airlines are offering some combination of postponement and refund options. Again, see our sister site Airfarewatchdog’s breakdown of airlines’ waiver options during the pandemic for more.
Generally, the options for canceling airfare will include:
- Waiving change penalties for existing tickets—but in many cases, only for flights scheduled within a few weeks.
- Waiving change penalties for newly booked tickets, with booking time frames ranging from a few weeks to a full year.
- Rebooking a ticketed itinerary with no change in fares, but usually for rescheduled departures within a month or two.
- Rebooking a ticketed itinerary with no change penalty, but at then-current fares, for up to a year.
What you need to know Solo Traveling to IndonesiaEven though traveling is not encouraged at this time, the best way for you to travel now is by going alone. Solo traveling have many advantages and Indonesia is perfect to explore by yourself. However, there may be...
Trip Level Ratings Jelajah Outdoor Trip Level Ratings provide an understanding of the physical expectations for each tour or cruise, making it easier for you to find the journey that is right for you. Trip Level Ratings are detailed description of the activity...
DISCOVER INDONESIA WITH US Indonesia Cultural & Educational Travel Jelajah Outdoor, Indonesia Travel Agency provides Indonesia Cultural & Education Travel was born to bring Nusantara Heritage and Natural Sciences alive in experience-rich travel. Indonesia...
Subscribe For Updates & Offers
COVID-19 News and Resources
- The World Health Organization’s COVID-19 Resource Hub
- The Centers for Disease Control’s COVID-19 Resource Center
- The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research’s country-by-country directory of health ministries
- Apple’s COVID-19 self-screening tool (developed in partnership with the CDC, and available on the web and in the App Store for iPhone and iPad)
- Google’s COVID-19 Information and Resource Page
- Region-by-region COVID-19 coverage via Google News